Monday, April 18, 2016

Another Week!

 
  Wow, it was another week of contacting. We had some funny and crazy and awkward experiences. We had contacted a lady named Carmen before and we went back for our sita. Well, we knocked the door and a lady walks up to the other side:
Through the closed door...
Carmen: "Who is it?"
Us: "The missionaries, we're looking for Carmen". 
*opens door*
Carmen: "Yes, what is it?"
Us: "Hola, we came by the other day but you were cooking..." 
Carmen interrupts: "Carmen isn't here".
We just looked at her like, You are totally Carmen and you are telling us that she isn't here. We then said "Okay, goodbye" and left Carmen, that isn't actually Carmen. 
   We knocked another door and the lady that answered said, "Sorry, I was just about to leave". We said, "Can we give you a folleto really fast?" She said, "Actually, my mom is a little sick, so no". We were like, umm, "Okay, goodbye then." We can't give her a folleto because her mom is sick? Usually people make up better excuses than that. Haha. 
     Some really cool things happened this semana. One happened in Consejo de Barrio yesterday (Ward council). Someone brough up the name of a member of the ward and said "This sister's grandchildren aren't coming because they don't have clothes or shoes to wear to church". Instantly the members that were in this meeting began offering assistance. About 5 people raised their hands and said things like "I have some clothes to give them" and "I could buy some shoes". It was amazing to see their charity and love for a member of the ward that they probably don't even know that well. I want to be like the humble people of Bolivia; willing to give up some of what I have for people who have less. 
     Hna King and I had a crazy experience this week. We had contacted a guy (we can call him Carlos) earlier that seemed pretty nice and went back to his house to teach him. He had invited his friend (he can be Juan Carlos for the story). Well we went in and talked for a bit but when we wanted to begin the lesson, Juan Carlos (who told us he had studied the Bible for 34 years) began completely attacking everything we believed. He attacked everything from the name of the pamphlet "The Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ" to Joseph Smith to missionaries. He would not stop talking so we just sat there in silence for about 30 minutes as he attacked everything. It was such a crazy experience though because the more he attacked Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, the more I felt the Spirit of God testifying to me that these things were true, that Jesus Christ really did restore His church through Joseph Smith and that the Book of Mormon really was another testament of Jesus Christ. I felt SOO STRONGLY that these things were true. Finally, he asked a question and gave us room to talk and I told him "If this was a question of knowledge of the Bible then I would loose. I am only 19 years old and I don't know a lot, but I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I know he was called to restore the church of Jesus Christ in it's fullness. I know that Jesus Christ came to the Americas and I have read every verse and every word of the Book of Mormon and I know it is true. I know that families can be together. I know that we lived with God before this life and I know we will live with Him again. I know these things because I have read and studied and prayed about them." He didn't really take me seriously, in fact he sort of laughed at me after I said that, but I do know without a doubt that what I said was true. I am happy that I know these things. I am glad to be a member of the restored church of Jesus Christ. Even when the Juan Carlos's of the world laugh at our testimonies, we MUST NOT stop bearing them. Anyway, that was my week! I hope you guys have a great one! Love you all! 
Love, 
Hermana Eaves

No comments:

Post a Comment